Border Design Service
A sustainable Beth-Chatto style border designed for your gardenSKU: BBD25
Beth's horticultural knowledge harnessed in a beautiful, sustainable plant tapestry designed specifically to suit your garden
Enjoy plants that will thrive in the right place, for years to come
An investment in a border design especially for your garden is an investment in sustainability. Our team, trained in Beth's ecological and sustainable approach, will bring the benefit of her knowledge and experience of plants to your garden.
Why have your borders designed for you?
- Beth said: "Designing a garden is like learning to speak. You begin with odd words, learning the individual plants. Then you create a simple phrase, finding two or three plants that look well together, next comes a sentence and finally the complete story, with embellishments still to come." If you haven't got the time or confidence to learn to 'speak', the alternative is to ask someone to speak on your behalf...
- Introducing new plants can be a joy but if they fail to thrive or end up in the wrong place, the time, energy and money invested is wasted.
- Your designer suggests plants that are selected specifically for your garden conditions: taking into account your soil, aspect, trees and existing shrubs
- The design will be unique to your garden and will use plants that your designer will select for their suitability and the beautiful tapestry they will create.
- This is a long-term investment in the future of your garden!
We do all the hard work
- Beth spent her lifetime learning about plants and was still learning into her 90s. Our team of designers is trained in her ecological and sustainable approach to planting and will use a selection of plants giving year-round interest, ideally suited to your border.
- The end result is a Beth Chatto border, unique to your garden.
- When you use plants that are suited to your garden's conditions, they naturally thrive.
- Plants will need some maintenance (as with any garden) but won't need to be replanted annually and will flourish for years to come.
Your Border Design Investment
...is calculated by the size of your border, in square metres:
- 25 sq.metre - £450
- 50 sq.metre - £700
- 75 sq.metre - £950
If your border is larger than 75 sq.metres, then please contact email@example.com and we will be happy to quote.
All you need to do is
- Select the service you require and order via the website
- Complete the Border Design questionnaire via email.
- Return your completed questionnaire.
- We call you to discuss your border design, using the insight from your completed questionnaire.
- We design your border by hand.
- We will then send you your Beth Chatto Border Design Presentation Pack, which will include:
- Your Border Design, with a beautiful hand-drawn illustration of your border and plan of location of plants
- Your complete border plant list
- A care plan for the plants in your plant list
- A loyalty discount plant voucher for use if you decide to purchase any of your plants from our nursery
- A complimentary copy of The Beth Chatto Handbook, Beth Chatto's descriptive list of unusual plants, worth £9.95.
If you would like to purchase the plants to complete your Border Design:
- You can purchase the plants direct from your plant list, from our website www.bethchatto.co.uk and have them delivered direct to your door.
- You can purchase plants from your local nursery
- Or a mix of both
NB: This is a border design service based using the dimensions and conditions of your existing border site, which you provide, and therefore, should not be considered a complete garden design service.
We stock predominantly perennial plants, meaning that in some cases, larger trees or shrubs that maybe in your design will not be able to be supplied by us, however, the vast majority are.
Keeping you safe
The safety of our visitors and staff remains our top priority. In England, wearing a face covering is a personal choice, although they are recommended in crowded and enclosed places.
We'll continue to provide hand sanitiser and stick to our high standards of cleanliness.
If you're showing any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you've been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 10 days, please don't visit.
We are accepting orders and dispatching them as soon as we can. Current delivery times are up to 1-2 weeks.
Current volumes of orders with courier companies are very high, so occasionally there are delays regarding delivery. Also, orders with multiple boxes, may be separated in transit, but should be with you shortly.
Please note: if Government advice or our staffing situation suddenly prevents us from dispatching, then rest assured that your plants will be reserved and cared for until such a time as we can dispatch again. Orders are currently placed on this understanding.
Click & Collect FREE from nursery is available, please select at checkout
Ready Now, Growing On, Propagating, To Be Propagated
Ready Now “Available for you to order and plant now”
Growing on “Potted, but not quite ready for sale” (Most will be ready in 2-3 months) register your interest
To Be Propagated "Plants to be propagated in the near future' register your interest
We stock over 2500 varieties of plants, with the majority propagated on site, so stocks will be ready at different times during the year. Stock levels are kept fully updated on our website. If you are interested in a specific product, please sign up for an email notification, by clicking on the 'Notify me when back in stock' link, on the plant product page. We are a small, family nursery and are very busy, growing & picking plants, so unfortunately we are unable to hold orders until other plants are ready for sale.
If you plan to visit our nursery please check our website for current availability before travelling. Alternatively, order through the website and select the 'Collect from our nursery - FREE' option. Please allow 3 days between ordering & pick up.
What size pots will my plants be supplied in?
Our plants are sold in a range of pot sizes dependent upon their growth needs:
9cm – for all our alpine plants
1 Litre – for the majority of our herbaceous perennials
2 Litre (occasionally 3 Litre) – for shrubs and those herbaceous perennials which require a larger root run
Some plants may be supplied 'bare root' and will be of comparable size to pot grown plants.
Can I order plants over the phone?
We are a small, family nursery and are very busy, growing & picking plants, so unfortunately we are unable to take orders over the phone, or make additions to orders already placed.
Where do you deliver?
We are pleased to be able to deliver our plants throughout the Great Britain. Unfortunately, with the current Brexit situation, we are unable to deliver to Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. We do not deliver overseas.
How much does delivery cost?
Rather than absorb the cost of postage within our plant price we prefer to charge a realistic postage and packing charge.
For orders dispatched to England, Wales and Scottish Lowlands the charge for delivery is:
£9.95 for orders up to £200
£15.00 for orders from £200 to £500
£20.00 for all orders over £500
Please see our Delivery Information page for more details and charges for Scottish Highlands & Islands, Isle of man, Isle of Wight and the Channel Isles.
When will I receive my order?
Once you’ve placed your order online you will receive a confirmation email. Your order will then be dealt with as quickly as possible by our experienced mail order team. During peak periods it can take up to 10 working days to receive your plants. Once the team have selected your plants the status of your order will change to “processing”. Finally - when your order has been carefully prepared and boxed and is ready to be collected by our courier - you will receive a dispatch email and can expect your plants to arrive the following day (for mainland England, Wales & Scottish Lowlands). We use an overnight delivery service to ensure that your plants spend the minimum amount of time in transit. Orders with multiple boxes, can be separated in transit, but should be with you shortly. Please see our Delivery Information page for more details and charges for Scottish Highlands & Islands, Isle of man, Isle of Wight and the Channel Isles.
How do I track my delivery?
Once you receive your dispatch email and our couriers have scanned the plants onto their system, please click on the tracking number link and you will be redirected to our couriers website. Enter your tracking number and postcode there and you will be able to track the progess of your parcel(s).
On the day of delivery you will also receive an email and/or text to your mobile number, with a delivery time slot.
Why has my plant been cut back?
Traditionally, the mail order plant season has run from October to March. This was because many plants would be dormant during this time of the year and foliage would either be reduced or absent, making them easier to post.
Now, mail order runs all year round and this may mean we need to cut back some of your plants, particularly from April to October. Plants with tall flowering stems and lots of foliage may lose a great deal of water in transit and cutting back helps reduce this stress. Cutting back will not harm your plants but will help in their establishment by promoting new root and shoot growth once planted.
Why are there plants missing from my order?
Occasionally plants will not be sent due to poor plant quality. This should be noted on your invoice contained within your order and a refund will go back to your original payment method. Refunds will normally take 2-4 working days to process. Should you not have received your refund, please email us through our contact page
Are dogs welcome in the gardens?
Only assistance dogs are welcome in the gardens. We recommend leaving dogs at home as our car park is very open with no shaded areas.